users@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish server and linux 32 bit vs 64 bit

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:09:23 +0200

Hello Chris,

64-bit is really needed if you need big heaps (more than the theoretic
2GB or 4GB limit).
If you don't need to hold large amount of data in memory (cache or
database) you may not need 64-bit.
64-bit JVM typically don't bring better performance and may even
require more tuning.
On the other hand if you need to go beyond that limit, 64-bit is a
life savior.

I was looking the other day for supported configurations with 64-bit
JVM but couldn't find a definitive answer (need to work on that).
What I recall is that Solaris 10 + 64-bit Sun JDK is certainly
supported. I'm not sure what we've added in the more recent update
releases.

I'm curious, is the new hardware (sounds nice!) to upgrade an existing
production architecture ?
Feel free to contact me at alexis DOT mp AT sun DOT com. I'm always
interested in production stories (http://blogs.sun.com/stories).

thanks,
-Alexis