users@glassfish.java.net

Topology question

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:16:13 PDT

What is the benefit of fronting the Application Servers with Web Servers for HA/load balancing if you have a HW load balancer?

The model in the deployment planning guide was followed when our environment was setup, which was before I got here. We have two machines with Sun App Server 9.1 clustered on them. We have two Sun Web Server 6.x in front of it with load balancing configured. Then we have two F5 Big-IP in front of that (Currently 4.x, installing 9.x shortly). Since the F5 Big-IP can do load balancing, what is the benefit of the Web Servers in this Topology?
[Message sent by forum member 'jfaldmo' (jfaldmo)]