users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on GlassFish V3 Admin Console one pager1

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:32:17 PDT

> Thanks for writing the spec. Very nice. Here are some
> comments...
>
> Section 4.1 - Update Center Integration
> It is not clear in the spec what is the expected
> behavior when a new
> version of the admingui.war is made available in the
> UC repository. How
> will end user get the updated war? Will you allow end
> users to not
> install the latest war?

We are pulling almost everything from the war to make it into plugins, so the war is basically a skeleton and probably won't need to be updated. However this admingui war will still show up in updatetool as well as in the UC integration page in GUI, and if there is really need to update this war, it still can be done.

> Do we need a domain level modules directory for
> Prelude?
No. It has been discussed in the asarch review that any module (including GUI plugin module) will be for the entire server installation, not at the domain level.

> We used to have a "Restart Required" status on
> console. Are we going to
> have that? If yes, will it reflect the restart
> required status when user
> installs a module that requires server restart?

There is no way in the IPS package to indicate whether server restart is required, and I was told by Jerome that I can assume all modules download will require server restart. So, yes, the Restart Required status will be presented to user after installation of pkgs.

This is part of the pluggability support, http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GFV3PluggabilityOnePager, will also update the one pager.

> Section 4.1 - Web Tier Support
> Will there be any support for Grizzly configuration?
> Please see
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GrizzlyCo
> nfigOnePager

Grizzly configuration was never in the task list of admin console for V3 Prelude release. Request didn't come in when we do the scheduling. However, if AMX API for Grizzly configuration is available 1 week before feature freeze, (ie 7/25), we may still consider it. I don't get any commitment from the backend team though.
Keep in mind that GUI plugin infrastructure is available in the Prelude release. So, if the backend has everything ready, then we can always have the plugin for Grizzly configuration available from the update center at a later time.