users@glassfish.java.net

Re: (Comet) GlassFish appears to be running in single thread mode

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:56:40 -0400

Hi,

adding Comet to the title :-)

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Hi Jeanfrancois,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> There are no locking blocks within the servlet code but I am using Comet from an applet and therefore each call to the servlet from within a single applet goes through the same input/output stream. Could this be the reason?

Yes, that's the reason. You are opening a single socket connection to
the server, and re-use that connection for every requests?

   Is it not possible to do this in such a way that multiple invocations
of a servlet can be processed at the same time by a single applet/client?

Yes, but make sure the connection you are using is not long polled or
streamed, as requests will be pipelined and executed one by one. Usually
I recommend you open a connection to the server using a GET, and that
connection is the one that is "comet" enabled. For any other operation,
open another socket and do POST operations (without using Comet for them).

Does that help?

A+

-- Jeanfrancois