users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:27:01 -0400

Restarting the HTTP listener creates new threads which is why it starts
working again. You need to figure out why the threads are locking in
the first place. When it locks up, please run this command:

asadmin generate-jvm-report --type=thread > thread_dump.txt

Send it to this mailing list. Someone from Sun will be able to help you
determine why the threads are blocked. As in my case, you will probably
find that Grizzly is not the cause. Grizzly was waiting on resource
manager to give me a database connection, and resource manager was
waiting on JDBC driver to log in. JDBC driver was waiting forever
because it had no timeout set. In this scenario, coyote will just
give you an HTTP error instead of waiting for one of the blocked threads
to become available.

Ryan