users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to invoke Client Callback Handler from EJB3 Session Bean

From: Miroslav Nachev <miro_at_space-comm.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 21:12:04 +0300
Hi,

Well, OK, I tried to help you out with an answer to your business problem, not your technical problem--that is, if the problem really is that a user doesn't supply enough information for a product selection and needs to be prompted for more information (color, size, etc.), then you absolutely want to do it as a result [i]of[/i] a method invocation (i.e. a return value).  Really.
The current business process is very long with different tree separations and it will be very difficult for me and for the implementation to find where and how to return after the user ask. This means that I need to separate that logic in many sub-logics and to find some way to use them as one logic with common parameters, data, etc. The example with color and size is just one small piece of the puzzle.

I will try JMS but this is not good that UDP is used instead TCP. Also I will need of synchronous communications for the return value.

Can you point me how to access the Client from an EJB using RMI/ORB? If I can do that then the rest will be done for few hours. Just give me one server and client examples. Please ...

Regards,
Miro.

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
[att1.html]

Well, OK, I tried to help you out with an answer to your business problem, not your technical problem--that is, if the problem really is that a user doesn't supply enough information for a product selection and needs to be prompted for more information (color, size, etc.), then you absolutely want to do it as a result [i]of[/i] a method invocation (i.e. a return value).  Really.

But since you seem to be more interested now in just the pure technology for technology's sake, yes, Markus is correct: JMS is the way that events are pushed around JEE, regardless of their direction (client to server or server to client).

Mind you, I stand by my assertion that that is the wrong solution for your business problem.  It is however the way that servers notify clients--unbidden, usually for purely information purposes (a la UDP)--in the JEE world.

Here is the section in the JEE tutorial on JMS: http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/bncdq.html

I hope this helps you out.  I still think it's the wrong approach but you should be the one to evaluate that, of course.

Best,
Laird
[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson' (ljnelson)]