users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to invoke Client Callback Handler from EJB3 Session Bean

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 11:13:38 PDT

> [att1.html]

Well, OK, I tried to help you out with an answer to your business problem, not your technical problem--that is, if the problem really is that a user doesn't supply enough information for a product selection and needs to be prompted for more information (color, size, etc.), then you absolutely want to do it as a result [i]of[/i] a method invocation (i.e. a return value). Really.

But since you seem to be more interested now in just the pure technology for technology's sake, yes, Markus is correct: JMS is the way that events are pushed around JEE, regardless of their direction (client to server or server to client).

Mind you, I stand by my assertion that that is the wrong solution for your business problem. It is however the way that servers notify clients--unbidden, usually for purely information purposes (a la UDP)--in the JEE world.

Here is the section in the JEE tutorial on JMS: http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/bncdq.html

I hope this helps you out. I still think it's the wrong approach but you should be the one to evaluate that, of course.

Best,
Laird
[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson' (ljnelson)]