users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to invoke Client Callback Handler from EJB3 Session Bean

From: Miroslav Nachev <miro_at_space-comm.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 17:09:52 +0300
Hi,

I know what exactly you offer me but I don't want to do that because of many reason. Finally why to go round instead to solve the problems? Now I will try to see how this is solved in SailFin project because there they have similar problem I hope. It is when some body want to dial somebody and the server must notify the client for that. In this case the server must initiate the connection with the client and then the client to return the answer. This is by SIP protocol if you are familiar.

Please tell me, why you do not want this to be realized? What is the reason? You offer somewhere as commercial future or what ?

Will you give me some help how to connect to the client using ORB following GlassFish manner or not? If not, I will stop disturb you anymore. You try to do everything except to give me some directions how to solve the problem.

Regards,
Miro.

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
Everything is clear except how the Server side (EJB)
will pass the
parameters to the Client side.

Well, you surely wouldn't want the server randomly calling the client and popping up dialogs whenever it felt like it in this scenario.  Bear in mind I know exactly what you're trying to do, and Tim is pointing you in the right direction.

You still want to do this as a return value from the server; trust me.

Think of it this way.  You want extra information [i]as a reaction to[/i] the user entering too [i]little[/i] information.  So the user supplies an ID, but didn't supply, say, color.  Because of that you want the server to [i]return[/i] your client enough information so that it can ask your user for more.  You don't want the server to push a dialog in the user's face--that kind of interaction should always be up to the client.

So here's your client pseudocode:
[code]
Result result = server.addProduct(incompleteInformation);
if (result != null) {
  RequiredInformation infoUserNeedsToSupply = result.getRequiredInformation();
  if (infoUserNeedsToSupply != null) {
    // TODO: build JDialog; get information out of infoUserNeedsToSupply; show dialog
    // TODO: when user closes dialog get user info
    // TODO: re-call server method with new information
  }
}
[/code]

Best,
Laird
[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson' (ljnelson)]