users@glassfish.java.net

How to implement a subscription manager in JEE?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:05:23 PDT

Hi

I need to implement a subscription mechanism:
1) A client sends a JMS message to start a subscription which is remembered using a list
2) Some subscription responses are generated by other components and are published to the requesting client via JMS.
3) Finally the client sends a JMS message to stop the subscription
This seems to implement the listener pattern within a JEE environment, so the components are only loosely coupled.

Problem: I need to manage a list of open subscriptions but this should be very lightweight. There is no need to store them into a database using JPA as managing the list is only required during runtime of the application server. I think that SessionBeans are not appropriate as they cannot hold a context over multiple JMS messages from several clients. Having heard about JCA, this seems to be very heavy weight.

What is the best way to implement such a lightweigt subscription mechanism?
[Message sent by forum member 'reiner_nix' (reiner_nix)]