users@glassfish.java.net

Re: appservAgentService.exe not functional on Windows 2003

From: NBW <emailnbw_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:55:23 -0400

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com> wrote:

> and if I can't keep the server running when I logoff of windows, its just
>> not there.
>>
> That's not a GlassFish issue, it's a JVM issue. It will happen to Tomcat,
> JBoss, WebLogic and WebSphere. You have to add -Xrs to the JVM options in
> domain.xml to prevent the JVM from shutting down when logging out of
> Windows. It's probably not included by default since Windows is not the
> only platform GlassFish is used on.
>
> Ryan

Ryan,

I hear what you are saying but I'd disagree - the J2EE bundle installer has
a checkbox to install a Windows service. One would expect that since a
Windows Service is an option it will work (keep the process running
regardless if the user is logged in or not) and that any engineering and/or
configuration necessary to make it work would be there (-Xrs) or the option
wouldn't be there (this is after all a production release). Hence it's an
application issue not a VM issue.

Because you mention Tomcat I'll add that when you install Tomcat you have an
option for a Windows service - which if you choose to install will keep the
VM running Tomcat running even after you log out (as you'd expect). So no,
from a user's perspective it won't happen to Tomcat because the service
installer/native service app (which BTW is not Java Service wrapper) works
as advertised and who ever wrote it did what was necessary (-Xrs perhaps) to
make it so.

BTW - I found your blog about this issue very educational - but it's def.
not an issue a user like yourself should have had to deal with on a platform
advertised as supported.