users@glassfish.java.net

Re: appservAgentService.exe not functional on Windows 2003

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:39:55 PDT

The issue of this thread, if you had read it, is that the provided executables for using with windows services do not appear to be working. They are provided by sun and glassfish group, so no, it does not seem that glassfish is rock-solid.

If I could find ANYONE else who's got this working, I'd have a better feeling that its my servers or how I'm adding the service or something attributed to the environment or user error. But neither the glassfish dev-team or the user community seems to have tried this, which confuses me because they've got documentation on setting it up.

If glassfish were stated as unsupported on windows server, I'd be fine with this issue. But I've been pointed to several sets of "official" documentation on how to create a windows service for glassfish and none of them work for node-agents (cluster setup).

It would be the equivalent of you trying to use provided init scripts and the daemons never start. Except in my case, the init scripts are binary executables and I can't really see whats going on in them, and even if I could, I'm not a developer.

I'm guessing that this was released untested for the windows platform.

And while I'm no fan of windows, please take your fanboyisms elsewhere. Solaris has had its fair-share of tcp stack issues (FIN_WAIT, RST and window problems). That doesn't make it "not production ready".
[Message sent by forum member 'areplogle' (areplogle)]