users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:46:05 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
>> Are you using the default configuration (domain.xml)? Without any
>> change, you are running fine with Coyote, right? That's impressive as
>> you are only running with 5 threads.
>
> I have thread-count set to 32 under the Request Processing section in GF. Note that this is "thread-count", not "acceptor-threads", which are two different things that I hear being constantly confused with each other.

Ya, this is really confusion. Just let's that value set to the default
("1").

>> Yes, it is (Coyote isn't scaling very well).
> I>'m not aware of any issues with Grizzly. I would be very interested to
>> see if you can run GF with the log level set to finest to see if I can
>> find something? Any application you can share to reproduce the issue?
>
> But it was on this very thread that is was suggested to me to use Coyote to try to eliminate Glassfish as being a cause of my original problem (see the very first post on this thread). The conclusion was that changing to Coyote did in fact make a difference. So, doesn't that point the finger at Grizzly as a possible cause?

Yes, except I need more information to really say Yes Grizzly is the
issue. Turning off Grizzly turn off some features in GlassFish,
functionalities Coyote isn't supporting.

> The fact that Coyote doesn't scale well brings me back to my initial conclusion that perhaps I have to move off of Glassfish. I can try switching back to Grizzly, but that puts me back to my original configuration where I was having the problem to begin with.

Right. That would be really helpfull if you can turn it on, and when it
hangs, just to a jstack PIU and send me the file. From that I will be
able to find what's happening. Can you also send me your domain.xml?

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois