users@glassfish.java.net

Re: If a instance is stopped, how to continue the session in the other?

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:03:30 -0700

Hi
The method you are following whereby you call each instance on its own
listener port would require you to move to the url of the other instance
in order to see session availability. i.e

http://<node1HostName>:<node1Port>/clusterjsp/

http://<node2HostName>:<node2Port>/clusterjsp/

This is what we call instance or port hopping which is useful for
testing replication at the GlassFish level but this is not what you'd
want to do for your production deployment.

If you would like to be able to access a url without having to change
the underlying instance host and port, you have to front it with a load
balancer/proxy.

That is the recommended way to deploy to production in a highly
available environment at the basic level.

Beyond this, to adequately provide redundancy to prevent single points
of failure in the production deployed setup, it is recommended to use a
Hardware LB in front of a Web Server cluster, which in turn, uses the LB
plugin to load balance to a GlassFish cluster. Additionally, at the NIC
card level, you would want to have multple network interfaces to provide
redundancy at that level as well.

Here are two good resources for starters:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/build/GlassFish_LB_Cluster.html
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3679 (official high availability
document)

hth