users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Web app stops responding to requests, admin console works fine

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:44:16 -0400

Ryan de Laplante wrote:

>>> Short of changing the OS, the workaround and Microsoft patches did
>>> not solve the issue for us.
>>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-3530/gawlz?a=view
>>
>> Microsoft haven't yet released any patches for that...guess they don't
>> think it's serious enough (LOL) :-)
> I think there are two issues. The one that Sun people have described to
> me requires a reboot. We encounter this every few months. Restarting
> GlassFish doesn't work, the database server can't be accessed anymore
> and restarting it doesn't work either. Only a reboot resolves the problem.

Right, that's the nbpool problem.

> The second issue can be resolved by restarting the app server Windows
> service. I wonder if the Microsoft patch solves the first issue.
>
> I also have suspicions that the problem is caused by my own code. You
> might remember that we have a JCA connector, and over 100 Connection
> Pools to communicate with EIS's all over the continent. Originally we
> had the timeout set to 5 minutes, and minimum pool size set to 1. It
> was opening and closing connections a lot, and we had this NP Pool
> problem every couple days. When I changed the timeout to 24 hours, we
> could last a couple weeks before NP Pool problems. I sent you or Sun
> the source code to the JSock library hoping you would be able to confirm
> it is my fault, and what the problem is. The support rep said nobody
> looked at my sources because a different customer provided a full app
> for Sun to reproduce the issue.

Hum....can you send it to me? I will take a look at the Microsoft issue
hasn't been fixed event with the other apps, and I suspect it is juts
because the test case isn't simple enough.

   I still am wondering if my own app is
> causing these leaks. It would be good for me and Sun to know this,
> since so few people are reporting the issue. It is possible that all of
> us have our own nio socket code causing these troubles.

I doubt this is caused by NIO...last summer we did an extensive analysis
(with microsoft) and 100% sure NIO has nothing to do, event if your
application leaks file descriptor, the OS IO stack should not get
corrupted like it is right now.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois