users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Web app stops responding to requests, admin console works fine

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:09:29 -0400

This sounds like an open case we've had with Sun since October. There
is a problem with asynchronous sockets leaking Non Paged Pool memory on
Windows 2003 Server. According to Sun it only happens on Windows
2003. They said it's not a JRE/JDK or GlassFish bug, it's a Windows
bug. Microsoft has some patches to try and solve it, but none of them
have worked for us. They also said we are one of only two customers who
have reported this issue and they are having difficulty reproducing
it. The other customer recently submitted the source to their full app
to help Sun and Microsoft reproduce the issue.

In Windows task manager, add the "NP Pool" column to processes list. It
will probably be quite high. I've seen our system go down when it was
at 800K, but it has also lived up until 1400K and even 2200K.

For now, we've resorted to restarting SJSAS 9.1 every Friday. Our other
option is to change OS.

Jeanfrancois of the Grizzly subproject can explain in more detail.

Ryan