users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setup of Glassfish Email to use remote server and Port

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:54:49 PST

Yes, actually that is the issue I looked over before posting mine. That is where I discovered that (supposedly) using Javamail settings was supposed to enable the modification of Glassfish's port and authentication settings.

Apparently, the Glassfish documentation is incorrect, or there is clearly a bug in Glassfish V2. Or perhaps it is an inadequacy related to its implementation of Javamail resources.

It is obvious from the fact that there are no "standard" settings for authentication or port numbers that whoever dreamed up the Javamail resource did not take into account the many ways that such resources would be used from within an application server. I do not believe that the person or persons who came up with the settings for Javamail resources under Glassfish were even familiar with the Javamail API or how it is used in servlets, JSPs or anywhere else!

Nevertheless: it is becoming more painfully obvious that Glassfish in its current form is simply not equipped to produce "real world" Javamail sessions. This is unfortunate, because it is providing yet another example of how Sun is great at coming up with nice ideas for standards and interfaces, yet is extremely poor at implementing them.

At this point, unless someone discovers a solution to this problem, I am going to report this behavior to Sun as a bug (let's see how responsive they are to that!). Once I have placed a bug report in the appropriate place, I am dumping this app server and switching to JBoss 5.
[Message sent by forum member 'factor3' (factor3)]