users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setup of Glassfish Email to use remote server and Port

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:26:09 PST

Actually:

   Yes, the place where I am emailing from apparently does not use Port 25. It uses Port 993.

The properties are below:

JNDI Name: BBMail
Mail Host: mail.ll.mit.edu
Default user <my user name>
Default return address: <my email address>

.
.
.
Transport Protocol: smtp
Transport Protocol Class: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport

Note: the Mail Host setting points to the machine that handles all emails for my location. The mail server is (unfortunately) Exchange 2007 (I have no control over this; some genius in Management decided to switch us over to this POS). Exchange resides on a machine that is different from the machine running Glassfish. It uses Port 993. This server works (relatively) well with Thunderbird; the settings in Thunderbird are the same as those in Glassfish -- except that Glassfish does not supply a means of setting the Port to the correct number. Another thing I note: my mail server is set to use SSL in Thunderbird. There appears to be no such setting in Glassfish.

Note also that despite the fact that I am setting the Host to the appropriate place, Glassfish still insists on attempting to use *localhost* to access the smtp server. It is as if Glassfish is ignoring the fact that I am setting it to look at another host!

It is looking more and more like Glassfish is simply incapable of operating properly in this environment.
[Message sent by forum member 'factor3' (factor3)]