users@glassfish.java.net

Re: SSL performance degradation problem on call to registerKey()

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:54:37 -0400

Hi,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We recently tried out an alternate solution that works fine. I thought it would be good to share it here.
>
> Previously, our system was using two Glassfish servers; one for the web tier and the other for the business tier. Now we have replaced the web tier Glassfish with the Apache web server, and it has completely resolved the performance problem we were facing with SSL.
>
> We still don't know why Glassfish was giving such a poor performance.

Sorry I've missed the original post. Mainly, the registerKey() method
'may' takes time because you are running out of threads. How many
threads has been entered inside domain.xml? If you increase it, does it
make a difference? I would think not, but just to make sure.

My guess is a JDK issue on Linux....Can you try jdk 1.6.0_02 or _06?
They were some changes added to the ssl impl:

Fixed 6447412: Issue with socket.close() for ssl sockets when poweroff
on other system
Fixed 6492872: Deadlock in SSLEngine
Fixed 6542796: CPU issue with JSSE and tomcat
Fixed 6446855: https connections failing when connecting through a proxy

I suspect fix 6492872 might have caused what you are seing on Linux
(blind guess)

The registerKey method is quite simple...can I send you a patch with
trace to try? I will isolate call to the jdk and see which one is having
trouble. Ping me directly if you can.

We would really appreciate if someone could look into the original post
and provide us with their opinion.

Let's work together to find if this is a GlassFish issues or a mis -
configuration.

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois