users@glassfish.java.net

Re: OpenFileDescriptor leak in GFv2UR1?

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:08:41 +0100

2008/3/6, Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_sun.com>:
> Hi Witold
>
> Witold Szczerba wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > have a look at the picture I've attached. It is showing GFv2UR1 in our
> > customer's production environment running our application (EJB3
> > local+remote and Swing client).
> >

> No http in the path? Just RMI/IIOP for reaching EJB, right? That will
> clear the http path :-)

There is actually one pure EJB(RMI/IIOP) EAR and one WAR with nothing
more than JNLPDownload servlet, but I'm 99,9% sure it has nothing to
do with that servlet, as usually people are launching application in
the morning (and launching application is the only interaction with
that servlet), where as the chart shows leaking during the entire day.

> > The chart starts on Thursday morning and goes up, then just after 5pm,
> > when remote clients disconnects (people go home) it goes down a little
> > bit, during night it is stable, then it grows again during Friday up
> > until somewhere 5pm. Then weekend begins and line is almost completely
> > horizontal until Monday morning... as you can see during this week
> > everything looks pretty much the same.
> >
> > I am not sure, but it looks like some kind of leak.
>
> Agree.
>

> I was reporting
> > similar behavior about year ago against GFv2 beta
>
> Have you filed an issue? Which #

Oh my, now I see I did not fill an issue, but here is our previous
conversation about this:
I was waiting until final GFv2 release and when it came, we were
unable to use it because of another, unrelated issue (#3683 - thank
you for resolving) and we were using that old beta version up until a
week ago.

> > The problem is I cannot reproduce this issue in testing environment.
> > There are about 150 users using our application deployed on that
> > production server.
> > Maybe someone from Glassfish team have some idea what it could be?
>

> It is hard to debug here as we cannot see which part is leaking. I would
> try to do a netstat -an and post the result here...should be clear with
> that information where the leak is coming from.

netstat -an is attached.
About enviroment:
Red Hat 5, uname -a:
Linux mikro 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
java version "1.6.0_04"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

> Thanks
> -- Jeanfrancois

My pleasure, thanks!
Witold Szczerba