users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Loadbalancer questions

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:06:28 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Those are the documents I was referring to when I asked if Sun Webserver 6.1 was actually required. I was unsure as to why there would be a load balancer section without the loadbalancer plugin being installed. Do you need to install the plugin in order to actually use the balancer?

Yes indeed.

And you are right. The official document does not explicitly state that
you will need to install the webserver in order to use the LB plugin but
points to a document that has this information (and that is not very
apparent from the verbiage)

          "See Also

For information on advanced topics, such as changing the load balancer
configuration or creating health checkers, see the Chapter 5,
Configuring HTTP Load Balancing, in Sun Java System Application Server
9.1 High Availability Administration Guide
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3679/abdgs?a=view>."

Look in the above link and under the "Prerequisites for Setting up Load
Balancer" section, it points to (another) link :

"Install a supported web server and configure it. For more information
on configuring a supported web server, see Chapter 4, Configuring Web
Servers for Load Balancing
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3679/gchvt?a=view>."

We should surely improve upon this so it is easy to find.

hth
Shreedhar