users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JMS - Netbeans - Glassfish

From: Sivakumar Thyagarajan <Sivakumar.Thyagarajan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:04:59 +0530

Hi Richard

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Responses inline.

Richard Blaha wrote:

> This is my first post. I am new to JMS and Glassfish/Sun Java System
> Application Server 9.
>
> I am using Netbeans 6.0, Glassfish v2, and Sun Java System Application
> Server 9. I am following through Part VI Services of The Java EE 5
> Tutorial / 31. The Java Message Service API / Writing Simple JMS Client
> Applications / Running JMS Client Programs on Multiple Systems.

> It appears the tutorial expects me to have Netbeans access to the
> network server as well to place the jar file there and to be able to run
> appclient there also.
>
> QUESTION (statement then question): The tutorial tells both command
> line commands that may be used and Netbeans steps that may be used to
> perform various functions (project build and run and server setup
> specifically). Since I use Netbeans to administer both my local
> Glassfish server and the network server App Server 9, is there a way
> when setting up in Netbeans to Run the Remote Server side
> SimpleSynchConsumer.jar (rather than running appclient on the network
> server) that I can associate the build/run SimpleSynchConsumer project
> with the network server app server instead of local to my machine?

If I understand correctly, you want to run the SimpleSynchConsumer
also on "earth" (following the sample's naming conventions) and
consume messages off the destination Queue in "jupiter". Yes this
should be possible. You could modify the SimpleSynchConsumer to use
the local CF on "earth" [which points to "jupiter" via the
AddressList] and lookup destination Queue of "jupiter" and consume off
that queue.

> NOTE: In the last couple of weeks I have been studying JMS through the
> main JMS Tutorial on the SUN site (JDK1.3.1), referred from there to the
> JDK1.4.1 where AppServer setup was quite prevalent, and finally found

... err, I am assuming you meant J2EE SDK 1.3 ad J2EE SDK 1.4. They
were implementations of the previous versions of the J2EE
specification and the tutorials were written to be used against an
implementation of those particular version of the specification. [J2EE
1.3 and J2EE 1.4 respectively]

> the JMS Tutorial embedded in the general The Java EE 5 Tutorial.
> Therefore I have written/rewritten and used existing examples at each
> step of the various tutorials and improved technology. To learn
> something simple it has been a very aggravating journey to learn
> something that should be simple. One of the frustrating items was the
> frequent switching between using the command line, Netbeans, and then
> the App Servers. I do not mind learning each way as that is very

Thanks for the good feedback. Could you please send this feedback to
the Java EE Tutorial team via
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/information/sendusmail.html
as indicated in the FAQ
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/information/faq.html#contact

I do agree that this particular segment of the tutorial is arguably
convoluted, but it is there to drive home the fact that "JMS client
programs using the Application Server can exchange messages with each
other when they are running on different systems in a network." and
that is why the sample employed two machines.

I also think that the tutorial team also wanted to help by showing
that all the various operations could be performed by various
techniques [CLI/IDE etc]. I agree it complicates things, but some
prefer a CLI vs an IDE and vice-versa.

> valuable for going forward, but for being brand new it was/is not a
> pretty site. Thank you.

Sorry I did not understand this. If this is got to do with Java EE
tutorial, could you include this in your feedback to the tutorial team
as well, please. Thanks.