users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3 planning - What do *you* want in GlassFish V3?

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik_at_hellooperator.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:57:17 +0000

On 10/30/07, John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_sun.com> wrote:
> If you have ideas of features or enhancements that you want in
> GlassFish V3, read on!

Here's my list - I'm a sysadmin, not a developer.

The #1 thing I want is flexibility, which is already on the way with h2k2.
That will be a boon to us, as we don't touch EJB at all but could really use
a nice fast web container with strong clustering support.

#2 is to play nice with others :) - I've had to abandon a planned GF deployment
because the JSF implementation clashed with some older webapps bundled
versions,
for example. I'm using off the shelf webapps and don't have the time
or skills to hack on
them extensively.

It's nice to have cutting edge features, but without backwards compatibility
it's hard for those of us who would like to drop in a 'better tomcat' for our
existing deployments.

#3 would be monitoring - good logging, maybe some DTrace etc support on
the relevant platforms.

When those apps fail to deploy, anything that helps me drill down to find what
JNDI resource it's asking for (or more often what Tomcat/JBoss specific
non-standard convention it's using) is a big help.

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/