users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Can You Share Tips Debug EJB Client with Eclipse?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:54:39 PST

> > Does anyone here debug the EJB client (i.e. ant
> appclient) with the Eclipse
> > IDE? How does it work? For example how does one
> getting the JVM to pause until
> > remote attachment of Eclipse Debugger?
> The appclient script accepts a VMARGS environment
> variable to specify any VM
> arguments that you would want to pass to it.
>
> So, in *nix, you could try setting VMARGS to
> > $ export VMARGS="-Xdebug
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,addre
> ss=9009"
>
> and then run the appclient and the appclient would
> pause until the eclipse
> debugger is attached.
> > $ ./publish/glassfish/bin/appclient
> > Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 9009
>
> For windows, set the VMARGS variable appropriately
> and it should ideally work.
> Let us know if you face an issue.

Thanks yes one can write a ant or maven-ant-run script to do launch this explicity. I think this is the simplest thing to do inside an existing build script.

Or from the IDE I think you can define environmental variable in order to launch Java applications for debugging. I just have not figure this out from Eclipse IDE yet.

I will get back to this thread once I figure out how to do with Ant 1.7 and its macrodef tasks.