users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Session Management in Glassfish Cluster

From: Evaristo José Camarero <evaristojosec_at_yahoo.es>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:33:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Jan and all:

Clarification is included inside the mail

Thanks,

Evaristo

--- Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM escribió:

> Evaristo,
>

> Evaristo José Camarero wrote:
>
> >Hi all:
> >
> >I am migrating a clustered application from Tomcat
> >5.5.x to Glassfish v2, using HttpSession in memory
> >replication.
> >
> >The application must be able to work with devices
> not
> >supporting cookies (e.g. some mobile devices), and
> >even further that URL re-writing capabilities (get
> >sessions by IP address, assuming that each mobile
> >device has only a concurrent session).
> >

> I'm not sure I understand the latter part of the
> above sentence:
> Are you saying that both cookies *and* URL rewriting
> have been
> disabled in your environment, and the IP address of
> a device
> is used as the id of the session created on the
> device (based on
> the simplifying assumption that there will be only a
> single session
> per device)?
>
> Can you please clarify?

The application is written for mobile phones using
iMode. This mobile terminals does not support cookies.

Of course URL re-writing is possible, but session is
lost if the user change the web site he is navigating.
So, in the Tomcat webapp, we were able to maintain the
session based on the IP address of the terminal.