users@glassfish.java.net

disaster after upgrading v2 b45 -> v2 RC8

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:52:19 +0200

Hi there,
today, in the morning, I changed Glassfish from v2b45 to the new RC8.
After this I configured everything (manually, using WWW admin panel)
and deployed application.

Everything was fine at the beginning.
I am not sure how many users (total count +/- 50-100 users) were
already using it and how much of them were still waiting to download
(after changing server, WebStart have to download more than 50MB and
this is only 1mbit connection), but after some time... I don't know
strange things: Glassfish process, excluding short breaks, is using
+/-100% of one core (this is dual-core amd opteron). When this is
happening, application cannot start even from LAN: login panel does
not come up immediately (as it used to do) but one have to wait,
sometimes few seconds, sometimes few minutes....

After few calls from our customer, I switched back to old installation
of v2b45, now it is OK, CPU is used at very low level.

What can be possibly wrong?
I have big problem, because I cannot reproduce this alone and I cannot
make experiments using my customer's employees. And I need new
Glassfish, because I have other issues with v2b45:
OpenFileDescriptorCount is growing everyday until everything hangs:
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=235019&#235019
(I made a mistake in that post, there is Ubuntu 7.04 not 7.10)

I was told to check new version, so I took RC8, and instead of making
observation for no. of opened descriptors, I have described issue :/

Can someone help?

Witold Szczerba