users@glassfish.java.net

Re: changing the log format

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:30:57 PDT

Dies,

You make some good comments. I agree. We need a way to [i] control the format [/i] of log-records.
See: http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=228391&#228391 for yet another user's
request.

Some comments of my own below :)

> I suppose my mail program will wrap this message, but
> my text editor
> does not, so I can't see the actual message unless I
> scroll to right.

Agree, this is not always useful.

> I'd like to see the most important fields first:
> 1. timestamp (to prevent me from looking at old
> messages)
> 2. level (many INFO messages are written and I only
> want to check if
> there were no big problems)
> 3. the message itself
>
> Depending on the message I might be interested in the
> thread info (only
> with threading issues I suppose, or to compare the
> RequestID with
> entries in other logs?), or the component (for
> debugging GF?), but only
> AFTER I checked the message.
> I am not sure why the product version is output for
> each message.

It might so happen that you have a huge log-file and you deleted some of it, retaining the
rest. In this case, it is easier to have every log-record to have the product version
information. This is essentially a "product support" thing.

> Because Sun changes its product name by the second?
> ;)
>
> So I'd like to swap the order of the fields.
>
> Also, most fields only note their value, but the
> thread field also seems
> to include labels (_ThreadID, _ThreadName and
> _RequestID) cluttering up
> the line even more. Why?
> If they are always written in the same order, why not
> drop the labels?

Good point.
> We can figure out which value starts and ends where
> from the separators
> (';') between them...
>
> Thanks,
> Dies

In general, server's log-records are not as "standard" as (for instance) web-server's access log
records. GlassFish does provide a way to listen to LogMBean notifications so that you don't
have to ever read the server.log as it prints the log-records. You can always listen to the
notifications and create your own log in a file or a database, or even disregard them.

But I agree, having a way to "configure" log records is in order. Please file an RFE at:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues

Thanks,
Kedar