users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Testing for a 404 in a servlet/filter

From: <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:24:05 -0700

Hi Tim,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>:)
>
>I'm not intentionally trying to reinvent the wheel, however I require authentication to performed by means of accessing a Database and, from what I understand, FormAuthenticator cannot do this (its authentication model is not customisable). As such, I was looking to write my own, using a Filter.

FormAuthenticator is configurable to the extent that you can specify (in your
webapp's deployment descriptor) the kind of realm to use for validating the client's
username and password credentials.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you want to use a JDBC realm.

See Shing-Wai's blog at

  http://blogs.sun.com/swchan/entry/jdbcrealm_in_glassfish

to learn how to configure such a realm in GlassFish.

Jan