users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish random ports

From: Raju Uppalapati <ruppalapati_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:21:35 -0700

JMX RMI connector opens two ports: one is for the RMI registry, and it's the
port that you usually supply with the -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=
<port> property. The other port is used to export JMX RMI connection
objects. This second port is usually dynamically allocated at random. [1]
I am suspecting that the random ports that are being opened are due to the
JMX RMI Connector part of the JMX MBean container running in the glassfish
VM.
If the JMX RMI connector infact is the root cause then if you disable this
JMX connector the random port issue might go away.

Someone from the glassfish team might be able to confirm if the glassfish VM
is starting a JMX RMI connector.

_raju

Reference:
[1] http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/connecting_through_firewall_using_jmx