users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Cluster performance and failover

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:05:37 PDT

First of all thx for your fast answer. This are the answers to your questions:

>Which build of GlassFish v2 are you using?
glassfish-installer-v2-b58.jar

>What is your cluster size and how many machines are you using?
>What is memory capacity of these machines?
>What is the memory consumption for each instance and LB when you are
>running the app through LB?
>What is the available free memory when running the LB, DAS and cluster?

I made the cluster following the example "Configuring the Cluster/Load Balancer with GlassFish V2" (https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/build/GlassFish_LB_Cluster.html).
I used the ant script that comes with the example and i created One-machine Cluster using GlassFish V2 (${glassfish.home}/bin/asant setup-one-machine-cluster)
So I have in the same machine, the DAS and the 2 clustered machines.

I deployed the sample application (clusterjsp) and it works fine and fast, even using the load balancer (apache mod_jk)

>What is cpu clock speed of these machines ?
The machine is a dual core 2Ghz with 2 GBytes of RAM

>Are you running this app under load or simply trying requests with mod_jk?
I made the test trying the request directly with the cluster instance and it is as slow as with the LB.

>Have you tried this with the Sun Web Server LB plugin and if yes, are
>you still seeing the performance problem?
No, because without LB is very slow

>Can you try setting a higher heap size for your cluster? The default
>setting of 512MB will not work for load based apps and one has to size
>the heap based on the nature of app, # of requests, and session size.
My JSF application (visual web pack) is a very simple web application with only 2 pages with one text field and a button in each page. And it goes very very slow and always rise the next exception:

[#|2007-08-15T23:50:37.671+0200|INFO|sun-appserver9.1|org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase|_ThreadID=26;_ThreadName=httpSSLWorkerThread-1110-2;|PWC2785: Cannot serialize session attribute Page1 for session b81b3ef1d919aaff69c2b0238367
java.io.NotSerializableException: com.sun.webui.jsf.component.Body

Here are some statics from the cluster instance:

HeapSize 64.704.512 bytes High Water Mark: 64.704.512 bytes
Low Water Mark: 0 bytes
Upper Bound: 518.979.584 bytes
Lower Bound: 0 bytes
Last Sample Time: 15-ago-2007 23:55:47
Start Time: 15-ago-2007 23:18:49

And here some start up options:

-client
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:MaxPermSize=192m
-Xmx512m
-XX:NewRatio=2
-XX:+LogVMOutput

<Once we have your responses, we might be able to help more.
<regards
<Shreedhar

Any idea?

Thanks again
Regards
[Message sent by forum member 'ranob' (ranob)]