users@glassfish.java.net

Re: What are the main differences between cluster and enterprise profiles?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:54:02 PDT

Thanks again Kedar but how is the setup cost greater if you get the HADB setup for you by just specifying a profile as enterprise? Is there more configuration beyond this to setup the HADB? It would be great to have document explaining this topic in greater detail or maybe there is one and I haven't found it.

Thanks, S.D.

> There are situations where in-memory-replication
> falls short - example a data-center catastrophe.
> In that case, since the session is not stored in the
> database, in-memory replication may not help.
>
> In-memory is useful for its (lack of) setup costs.
> HADB is highly-available "database" on the
> other hand. The former imparts you reasonable
> availability, the later guarantees cross-domain
> availability, if you undertake the setup costs.
>
> Naming enterprise profile domain that way may have
> been a mistake since both cluster and
> enterprise profile are suited for enterprise use.
> It's just the use that differs. If you have a site
> like
> mlb, hadb might be overkill, and in-memory
> replication might just work fine.
>
> Hope this helps (a bit more) :)
>
> Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'samdoyle' (samdoyle)]