users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Download War from server

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:51:26 -0700

Jerome Dochez wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2007, at 7:08 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
>
>> Hmm. Not sure about the intent. Downloading client-stubs, needed to
>> invoke the EJB's is different
>> from the web-application itself. The former is *required* to invoke
>> your EJB's from a standalone client.
>>
>> But it might be a good RFE to fix. An example would be to distribute
>> the web-applications that are
>> deployed to an instance of GlassFish. Generally, this is handled by
>> your development processes.
>
> and this is why there is a deployment process. downloading the deployed
> bits with the non portable artifacts that may be unique to the original
> deployment environment and reuse those bits somewhere else is *not* a
> good idea.

If a deployer is aware of non-portable extensions, then it's best not
to "export" such an application. You can always misuse a facility offered
by a server.

>> But if you want an *exact* replica of the application (web-app, or any
>> other app for that matter),
>> GlassFish V2 does not have a way to do it today.
>>
> if the user's just want to have access to the original untouched war
> file, he can push it to the http-listener docroot and make it available
> through http download.

Sure. Or put it in a maven-repository somewhere.

>> Can you file an RFE at:
>> http://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues?
>>
> considering the security, portability considerations of such a feature,
> I am not sure this would be a great feature addition.

May I know the security consideration?

Anyway, I took this as an administrative operation. E.g.:
- user clicks on an application listed on admin console.
- there is an option like: "Export".
- the application is assembled on the server side and returned to
   the administrator as the archive.

In talking to few people, I realized that it is more often than not,
it is a situation where administrators want to replicate an existing
setup of application elsewhere. (Perhaps on another installation of
GlassFish itself, where hopefully, the portability concerns are not
worrisome). Maybe your experience suggests otherwise?

I still feel that this might be a useful feature.

Kedar