users@glassfish.java.net

Re: https (8181) not responding - v2_rc1_b58

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:22:55 -0400

Hi,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> If I request a simple jsp page (index.jsp), it works fine for upto 120-130 HTTPS connections. For more than 130 connections, number of requests failed (curl_loader received SSL timeout).
>
> Now, if I request a complex jsp page where it makes database calls and stores session data, the server can handle maximum 40 HTTPS connections and hangs if more than that is used. (works fine for 500 or more HTTP connections)

You are getting an SSL timeout exception or the client times out with
this error messages?

You cannot compare http vs https performance as https does much more
operations, like several handshakes which are slow operations in java,
unfortunately.

Also I need to examine what curl-loader is doing as I suspect it flood
the server with requests instead of really testing performance. If you
have time, you can read about why here [1].

> What's the maximum number of https connections this version can handle? or is there any tuning option available to ramp up max HTTPS connections.

It really depends on severals factors like your hardware/ram/network
etc. Can you post the exceptions/results from your load. If I run your
test on a big machine, it works like a charm on Solaris...but we never
know with NIO, hence I'm interested to look at your log to see if I can
find anything wrong.

BTW can you confirm that you don't see any CLOSE_WAIT socket on the
server side? If you see them, that means the JDK is leaking file
descriptor, which is a bug they are supposed to have fixed in 5.0.11 and
6.x.

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois