users@glassfish.java.net

Re: active passive setup for glassfish, how?

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:16:17 -0700

I think this is an interesting extension to the architecture.
We have heard requirements for a standby cluster, but frankly,
a cluster itself is a composite logical entity in that if you
have designed the cluster appropriately (w.r.t. throughput and
availability requirements) then you should not have a cluster
that has a problem as a whole.

You'll have one or more dysfunctional servers in a cluster and
the support crew needs to fix them. The availability will be
impacted, but not completely impaired. The load balancer will
take the affected servers out of group of responsive servers and
will direct the requests to the ones that are responsive.

Do you see a strong need of a standby "cluster"? This surely
makes the actual failover across clusters more complicated.

Regarding your other question -- sorry, 2 different DAS's can't
administer the same cluster. A cluster is contained in a given
administrative domain in GlassFish architecture.

Regards,
Kedar