users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Application clients - Local EntityManager vs remote facades with detached entities.

From: Ryan J <ryan.j_at_vacode.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:25:32 -0600

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you and I had similar experiences. I
actually did something similar to your DAO setup at first, but really missed the
convenience of lazy loading and cascading.

You are absolutely correct about one thing; transferring (complex) detached
entities over the internet does not work well in the real world, yet it seems to
be the most common tutorial example I've seen.

All of the tutorial / examples I've seen do a pretty good job as 'getting
started' documentation. However, I've been finding there's a lack of resources
(even commercial books) when it comes to building real world applications.

I ended up trying several solutions for working with data in an application
client just to 'see what worked best'. I suspect the situation will improve as
more people start building rich clients and working on rich client architectures.

Ryan