users@glassfish.java.net

Clustering and domain confusion - 4-way redundancy? Multiple domains?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:58:59 PDT

I'm having a rough time wrapping my head around the whole domain, instance, DAS, node-agent, cluster relationship.

Question 1:

My goal is (at least at first) to set up a Glassfish V2 system on two (physical) servers, with two JVM processes on each (so that I can take down a physical server and there's still some process-level redundancy). For load balancing I'll be using Sun's web server or BigIP (I haven't decided yet). I've read the docs, and made a few attempts, but it doesn't make sense and I keep hitting road-blocks

So my question is, what's a basic roadmap to get something like this set up? What would the end result look like as far as domain/node-agent/instance objects look like?

Question 2:

Domains.. I remember reading in one of the docs (I can't find it now) that the default domain shouldn't be used for production applications, and that a separate new domain should be created for user applications. Is this true, and if so, how does this factor into the multi-node question above?

Many thanks & cheers!
[Message sent by forum member 'fernwode' (fernwode)]