users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Creating InitialContext with 1.6

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:12:04 PDT

Hi Laird, thanks for chiming in.

My first reaction too was that it must have been an error on our side, but the problem was that everything worked as expected when downloading the client stubs and launching the app using the appclient script...

So anyway, here are my latest discoveries:

-> This morning, downloaded the b50 build and deployed my test project on it. It complained about a missing JDBC connection pool (oops, forgot to define it in the project...was working on my b41d since the ressources had been defined 'by hand'). So I created 2 .sun-resource files and it deployed ok (Tim, I attached these 2 files to the issue 3144 in case you want to have a look, you then just have to create a db in Derby, called 'jlc'). Conclusion of the test : everything works as expected with b50 ! Excellent!

-> Just as a sanity check, I redeployed my test app (it's an EAR, by the way) on my b41d (since I added the 2 files to the project, I felt it was the right thing to do), and......eh? IT WORKED TOO !

-> Now I was confused... The only thing that changed on that PC is that it was rebooted over the weekend...and the b50 installation of course. But it really was b41d running! So I asked my 2 collegues to redeploy their apps showing the problem to my b41d, and I could launch their app no problem (read, I'm starting their app from my machine running the b41d GlassFish, so everything is running from the same PC). I was even more confused, so I asked them to try it from their PC (i.e. they both accessed my GlassFish b41d from the admin web page and clicked "Launch" to start the app-client; they both have JDK1.6). Same security error as before.

-> So I then shutdown my b41d and started b50 and asked them to deploy their apps to my machine. Again, I have no problem launching it from my machine, but fortunately, IT ALSO WORKS from their own PC. No Security error whatsoever!

So we're going to continue working with b50, but I'm really curious about what the problem was..

Tim, your call; you must be really busy with other issues, so maybe it's not worth working on that anymore, since the problem "dissapeared" somewhere between b41d and b50. Then again, understanding the "why" might help in related issues in the future..as I said, your call.

Vimal, can you also try your code on the latest Glassfish build? I'd like to know if it's just our setup here that is causing this work/doesn't work behavior ...

Francis
[Message sent by forum member 'chiss' (chiss)]