users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Still Fighting Comet

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:58:36 -0400

Hi,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Jeanfrancois - thanks for the response.
>
> At present I am using
>
> - Sun Java Application Server 9 (= Glassfish 1?)
> - comet-1.5.0.jar and the other associated jars
> - your sample chat app from your blog (unaltered except to add a few diagnostic printouts)

I doubt it will work with GlassFish v1 (you really needs v2) as the
package has been renamed from com.sun.enterprise.web.connector to
com.sun.grizzly in 1.5.

> Once I get that working, the aim is to develop a football score update application that pushes updates (goals, substitutions etc.) because our current site gets overwhelmed with refreshes near the end of important games!

Hey hey :-) Comet is quite popular with games. At AjaxWorld this year, I
saw a chess game based on Grizzly Comet. Nothing fancy but knowing it is
just javascript and comet, this is interesting. I need to improve my
JavaScript skills to write such application myself :-)

> Sounds like I should retry with Glassfish 3 as things seem to have moved on since your original blog? Should your demo still work if the environment is set up right or does it need an update?

You need to use GlassFish v2 (not v1 nor v3). V2 is our next major release:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v2-b47.html

Just enable Comet and the example will works as it is. I can also share
Ajax related examples if you want to see how Comet works with the
behavior.js (no iframe) library. Just send me an offline email
jeanfrancois.arcand at sun dot com.

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois