users@glassfish.java.net

Re: WebStart application and forthcoming training :/

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 02:39:43 +0200

2007/5/7, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>:
> Hi, Josh.

Hi, thanks for attention.

> Is the 50 Mb you mentioned the size of your app alone or does that include the various GlassFish JARs as well?

My application is 9MB, all the rest is Glassfish ACC (I really believe
it is too much, does ACC really need more than 40MB to launch
application?).

> If this size represents all the JARs, then if you revise your application Java Web Start would retrieve only the revised JAR. It would use the app server JARs cached on each individual system.

Well, yes. But there must be the first time :/

> As for tweaking the generated JNLP - there's no supported way to do that. It's a frequently-requested enhancement and we very much want to do that in V3.

I have made an experiment. I have downloaded client-acc.jnlp file,
opened it in text editor and replaced manually:

<extension name="mainext"
href="http://some.company.org:8080/__JWSappclients/__appclient/SOP/SOP-app-client/main-ext.jnlp"/>

with:
<extension name="mainext"
href="http://192.168.1.202:8080/__JWSappclients/__appclient/SOP/SOP-app-client/main-ext.jnlp"/>

, where 192.168.1.202 is my local IP. Then I have launched Glassfish
locally and... it worked. Java WebStart downloaded 9MB from remote
server and the rest came very fast.
Looks like it works, but I might not be aware of some side effects :/
But have not seen any so far.

> I'm afraid I do not have any suggestions for why the proxy solution would not be working. It sounds like the ideal approach.
[...]
> Is the proxy software you are using able to display information about the requests it receives, whether it can resolve them against its own cache or whether it must fetch them from the actual source, and whether it actually caches a particular retrieved file? That might shed some light on what is or is not cached and/or resolved locally.

I was investigating request using local Glassfish and NetBeans' HTTP
Monitor. I do not know much about HTTP, but I in each request for
*.jar, there was some "no-cache" statements. Maybe that is preventing
using proxies for some security reasons or... maybe that tiny proxy
software I tried is too simple or buggy (as I said, I know only some
basics about how http works, I was never investigating that).