users@glassfish.java.net

Re: relationship between two applications

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:25:40 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote On 04/24/07 04:43 AM,:

>Thanks for the hints. I don't want to do any hacks, the "reference" and "parent" tags in OracleAS and Sap-Netweaver are regular features. So I see, I need to always deploy the core and all sub-applications as sumo-ear in glassfish. I already did this successfully with my two apps.

Great!

I've done some research to find out how you would designate one webapp
as the parent of another with Oracle's appserver. I found that you can
do this at the deployment command line, by specifying the -parent
option, or by using the "parent" attribute of the <application>
element in server.xml.

The closest feature that GlassFish offers in this respect is the --libraries
option of the "asadmin deploy" command, which allows you to specify a
list of
JAR files that will be made visible to the application being deployed.
In your case,
you would specify the JAR files of the parent webapp when deploying any
of its
"child" apps.

Still, the only *portable* solution I can see is to bundle the parent
and its dependent "child" webapps inside an EAR file, which you've
confirmed works for you.

Thanks,

Jan