users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Questionsa about having more than one MQ for one glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:59:35 PDT

> Thank you very much for reply.
>
> By your reply and my research i understand that we can have multiple
> broker for one instance of Open MQ, this brokers facilitate
> communication of our connection factories and .. with real Open MQ instance.
>
> Also I deduced that if we use Local integration mode we can achieve
> better performance because application server and MQ are in two separate
> process, is it correct?

you need LOCAL integration when you want the lifecycle of the broker to be controlled by glassfish
If you want to configure/administer MQ broker separately, you need REMOTE.

please see https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/docs/AG/abljw.html#ablkn

> Here in "Application Server > Configuration > Java Message Service
>> JMS Hosts" page we can define our standalone JMS host and glassfish
> will start/stop it (from its own open MQ folder)

Only the default_JMS_host will be started/stopped by glassfish, you can create any number of jms hosts, but only the default host will be managed by glassfish.

> And in this page if we define a new host that is our remote machine then
> we should configure "Application Server > Configuration > Java
> Message Service" to use our host and set it to be remote.
>
> But changing the JMS host is not an option because we can not use
> embedded JMS host for our regular low load queu.
> So we need to somehow create some connection factories to connect to the
> remote MQ instead of changing the default JMS host.
>

> here this question come:
> How i can define this kind of connection factories?
> You mentioned that I can but you did not give me more details, can you
> please explain about addressList and other properties?

i guess this question is answered in a different post

> The reason that i thought about a separate MQ is that numbe of r
> messages that are going to reside in one of our queue is a big number
> and they can stay there for a long time
>
> I thought that if we use our main application server MQ it will
> downgrade the performance.
>
> So I thought that we install a version of Open MQ on another machine and
> let it handle the queue, is it a correct way to reduce load from
> application server .

yes, you could use a REMOTE mq configuration (standalone or clustered)

> Imagine that i go with separate installation of Open MQ now I have some
> questions:
> -How I should configure the connection factories and destinations?

> -How I can make my queue or topics to be durable in remote JMS
> installation that is not default jms service of Glassfish application
> server.? (My messages stay safe if MQ crashed)

you should configure this in the MQ, please see open MQ documentation for high availability,
this blog might also be of interest to you
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/rampsarathy/archive/2007/02/jms_service_ava.html
[Message sent by forum member 'rampsarathy' (rampsarathy)]