users@glassfish.java.net

Re: What is "HTTP Load Balancers" node and what is relation with sun java web server?

From: Pankaj Jairath <Pankaj.Jairath_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:37:24 +0530

Hello Legolas,

If I understood your question, you are referring to the UI element "HTTP
Load Balancers" element of the GlassFish V2 Application Server. If so
let me give a brief.

GlassFish V2 provides the HTTP Load Balancer which can then be deployed
onto the supported WebServer - for GlassFish V2 it's the Sun Java System
WebServer 6.1 / 7.0. When defining the High Availability deployment
topology of a Java EE deployment, administrator would define a cluster
of application servers instances and install and configure the HTTP Load
Balancer to take care of load balancing and failover of the HTTP requests.
To do this administrative configuration steps, the end-user can use the
Admin Console (GUI) or the CLI commands to define the cluster, it's
configuration and associate a HTTP Load Balancer with this
configuration. This association defines the cluster configuration and
other Load Balancer configurable parameters, which the HTTP Load
Balancer uses to perform its HA functionality. The administrator can use
the Admin Console to generate this HTTP Load Balancer configuration and
even push the configuration over the wire to the deployed HTTP Load
Balancer on a given Sun Java System WebServer.

Refer to the documents provided earlier for further details on how to
use the Domain Administrative Server (DAS) Admin Console (GUI) or CLI to
administer the HTTP Load Balancer.

regards
Pankaj