users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Problems starting glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:49:49 PDT

I don't think I have the answer, but maybe explaining what's happening will help all of us figure out what's happening in your environment.

The server is trying to autodeploy one of the system applications - applications that GlassFish supplies itself and uses for various purposes. The system apps are autodeployed as part of the very first server start-up after installation.

As part of deploying any application, GlassFish parses the descriptor for the app. The app's descriptor will identify the relevant schema. To avoid retrieving the schema over the Internet via the schema's URL GlassFish intercepts the XML parser's request for such entities and resolves them - or tries to - against a local copy of the Java EE schemas and DTDs. These files should be present at

${install-dir}/lib/schemas

Can you please check there to see if the schemas were installed there correctly?

The complaint you see looks like GlassFish reporting that it cannot find the local copy of the schema. What's odd is that the schemas should be in ${install-dir}/lib/schemas. The directory part of the file spec in the exception is

${install-dir}/domains/domain1/config

which is, I think, the normal default directory for the app server. So it almost looks as if something is not quite right with the installation directories or the way GlassFish is searching for the local schema file.

By any chance are you using symlinks in - or above - any of the directories involved? Anything odd about permissions on any of the directories?

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]