users@glassfish.java.net

Maxing out Connection Pools

From: Jason Lee <lee_at_iecokc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:55:24 -0500

We have an issue on our production server where we're maxing out a
particular connection pool (which connects to SQL Server, fwiw). If I
look at the DB server, I can see all 128* connections, some of them
showing that they connected several hours earlier. I would think that
the connection should idle out and be removed, but that does not appear
to be happening. One of the frustrating things is that we have no way
(that we know of) of killing the connections from the GlassFish side
other than restart the server, nor do we know how to tell which
applications have the connection. Sadly, we have several JDBC resources
pointing at the same pool, so we've done a bit of this to ourselves, but
that's another issue for us. :P

Is there a way to reset/close all connections for a given pool? Is
there a way to figure out who the offending applications are so we can
try to fix them? Restarting is a bit jarring for our users. :P

Thanks!

-----
Jason Lee, SCJP
Senior Software Engineer