users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Deploy EAR / WAR / RAR to remote server / domain

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:33:49 -0500

To add to Shreedar's comments...

It seems like part of your concern is that asadmin and the asant tasks
require that a good portion of the GlassFish runtime be present on the
system from which you are doing the deployment. That's correct.

Another approach you can consider is using the JSR-88 API for
deployment. The deployment guide discusses this very briefly here.
(The link is to the app server product documentation, but the
information is the same for GlassFish.)

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3660/6n5s7klp7?a=view

The footprint required on the client side for a JSR-88 API client is
smaller than for asadmin or asant, meaning you would need the following
JARs in the classpath of your Java program that uses the JSR-88 API:

appserv-deployment-client.jar
appserv-ext.jar
jmxremote-optional.jar
javaee.jar

We want to post a simple example program that uses the JSR-88 interface
and it just has never quite made it to the top of the to-do list. We'll
try to bump it up higher in the near future.

- Tim