users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [JSF] UEL vs EL

From: Jacob Hookom <jacob_at_hookom.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:21:44 -0600

The only case you would use defferred EL syntax (#{...}) is for later
assignment-- things like c:forEach or c:set express variables which can
be assigned later:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jhook/archive/2006/03/the_unified_el.html

In the case of c:choose/c:when, this is a pure evaluation time process,
no expressions get scoped otherwise, hence no need to support deferred
evaluation here. I know it's confusing, but the blog link may offer
some help as to why deferred EL even exists.

-- Jacob