users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Applications hang frequently - but not console?

From: Guillaume Bilodeau <gbilodeau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:53:40 -0800 (PST)

Binod.Pg wrote:

> Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:
>> Binod.Pg wrote:

>>> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/binod/archive/2006/12/glassfish_and_w.html
>>> Do you know if you are hitting any firewall related issues mentioned in
>>> the above blog?
>>>
>>> - Binod.

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>>>

>> Hi Binod,
>>
>> I found your blog entry when researching this problem - that's actually
>> why
>> I tried accessing the application using a localhost URL, but with no
>> success. Anyway I doubt that there is any firewall running on this
>> server,
>>
> Can you reconfirm that firewall settings are proper? Well, the localhost
> access was
> possible because of the particular setting we had in that machine. In
> reality, the actual
> setup may be different than what is described in the blog.
>> it's inside the DMZ and accessible only through the intranet.
>>
>> In the meantime I did find out that the Thread Count setting in the
>> AppServer > Configuration > HTTP Service > Request Processing tab had a
>> value of only 5 with an Initial Thread Count of 2 and a Thread Increment
>> of
>> 1. Sounds like this could be the cause of our problem, am I right?
>>
> Depends on the usage pattern on the website. If it is not a heavily
> loaded system, the
> current settings should be enough.
>
> Can you take a thread dump and see, if any thread is blocked anywhere?
> - Binod.
>> GB

Hi and thanks again for your help and time!

So I confirm that there is no firewall running on this system. There is an
instance of Norton Antivirus, but nothing else. The server seems to be
dedicated to running Glassfish.

The problem hasn't reoccurred since raising the HTTP processing threads -
but I think it's too early to tell if that was really the source of it.
We're experiencing loads between 10 and 150 simultaneous users, with a usual
load of 50. Could 5 HTTP processing threads really handle this? Why is the
default number of threads 128 then?

Thanks,
GB