users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Applications hang frequently - but not console?

From: Guillaume Bilodeau <gbilodeau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:16:10 -0800 (PST)

Binod.Pg wrote:

> Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> We are experiencing some problems with our Glassfish server in
>> production.
>> The two applications that are installed, one WAR-packaged and another
>> EAR-packaged, sometimes stop responding at the same time for 10-15
>> minutes
>> and for no apparent reason, then start accepting requests again as if
>> nothing had happened. While both applications are stuck, the Glassfish
>> administration console works perfectly (correctly with no performance
>> degradation) and shows that both applications are installed and enabled.
>>
>> The logs contain nothing suspicious - just normal application exceptions
>> that seem to be handled correctly. Accessing the applications from the
>> application server itself using a http://localhost address gives the same
>> results.
>>
>> The production server is running Windows 2000, Java 5 update 10, and Sun
>> Java Application Server 9.0.0 PE update 1. I don't know if a firewall is
>> running or not. Applications are running on port 9090 (normal HTTP, not
>> secured) and the administrative console on 4848.
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea how to diagnose this problem and, hopefully,
>> solve it?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> GB
>>

> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/binod/archive/2006/12/glassfish_and_w.html
> Do you know if you are hitting any firewall related issues mentioned in
> the above blog?
>
> - Binod.

Hi Binod,

I found your blog entry when researching this problem - that's actually why
I tried accessing the application using a localhost URL, but with no
success. Anyway I doubt that there is any firewall running on this server,
it's inside the DMZ and accessible only through the intranet.

In the meantime I did find out that the Thread Count setting in the
AppServer > Configuration > HTTP Service > Request Processing tab had a
value of only 5 with an Initial Thread Count of 2 and a Thread Increment of
1. Sounds like this could be the cause of our problem, am I right?

GB