users@glassfish.java.net

Re: User Experience: CLI

From: Nazrul Islam <Nazrul.Islam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:04:55 -0800

Jim,

Nice feedback! Would you please file an Issue
<https://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues> for this?

I also took some notes during the meeting. Here they are... (see minutes
<http://www.glassfishwiki.org/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=UECLIMinutes>)

Summary

    * We are adding a monitor command to allow users to monitor from
      CLI. This is much better improvement over the current "get"
      command. Very exciting!
    * We are adding a "help" command that will display closest match
      command names. Very helpful when we have ~200 commands.
    * We are adding 16 new commands to manage lifecycle and deployment
      aspects in JBI (see new JBI commands
      <http://www.glassfishwiki.org/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=AGlossaryOfNewCommandsWithDetailedSynopsis>).

    * We are making it easier to generate the loadbalancer.xml by adding
      lbEnableAllInstances, lbEnableAllApplicaiton options (see LB
      changes
      <http://www.glassfishwiki.org/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=LBCommands>).
    * We are adding support to create a loadbalancer that will allow
      user to automatically push the loadbalancer.xml (see new LB
      commands
      <http://www.glassfishwiki.org/gfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=LBCommands>).
    * --syncinstance option during node-agent startup will reduce
      confusion.
    * --portbase is a great idea. This will simplify domain creation.

Open Issues

    * When user types a command that can not be found, we should refer
      to the new "help" command. - Jane
    * For the new monitor command, we should also consider adding
      support for cluster. Vince to file an enhancement request.
    * List doamin command will have issues with i18n. - Jane
    * Followup with deployment team about new element. - Jane, Hong
    * Blog about Asant. Developers will find this handy. - Jane
    * Update one pager. Vince to provide comments. - Jane, Vince
    * Consider documenting CLI framework for GlassFish users so that
      people can add their own commands. - Jane

--
Nazrul Islam   -   (408) 276-6468   -   Sun Microsystems, Inc.