users@glassfish.java.net

Upgrade glassfish

From: Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.richter_at_mgrinformatica.com.br>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:25:56 -0300

Hi!

Last night I did an upgrade from V1UR1 b06 to V1UR1 b10 on Linux.
The process was:

1) Download new package for Linux from glassfish.dev.java.net;
2) execute "java -Xmx256m -jar glassfish..."
3) mv glassfish /usr/java/ (the place where I execute all my java
programs on linux)

This step give me an error (cannot overwrite /usr/java/glassfish,
because already there is an glassfish there).

The problem is just there: how could I achieve a glassfish upgrade
without re-installing everything? In my case, I was forced to mv
glassfish glassfishOLD, then execute setup, install (again) the JDBC
drivers, special Auth modules, and finally redeploy every app running on it.
This is a error prone and time consuming task, that needed I put my
server down for a couple of hours...
I did convince me I missed something really cool (in upgrade terms), and
I was doing this in the hard way.

There is an easy way?

TIA,

Richter