quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Is anyone else hitting 'OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space' on a regular basis with GlassFish 3.0 ?

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 09:48:01 -0500

This does not address the GC aspects of this, but you have some
operational tools to help in this situation.

If you want your apps to be highly-available, then you are using a
load balancer and multiple instances. After redeploying the app you
can, one at a time, remove an instance from the load balancer set, let
that server reach a quiescent state, restart just that instance, then
add it back into the load balancer set and continue on with the next
server.

Clearly this is not nearly as convenient as just redeploying the app,
to be sure, but it does help with the "1:00 a.m." problem. And,
depending on where your users are, 1:00 a.m. for some can be the
middle of the workday for others.

- Tim